15. Parts, Evaluation of Quality
< Back to Main Page
This Wiki-section gives you the opportunity to let the XS-650 community know about the quality of the aftermarket parts you use.
- Sump Oil Filter - PASS. Modified to prevent torn screen problem on OEM filters. Has held up for years.
- 36 pc. 18" rear spoke kit - FAIL. Spoke bend at hub end is incorrect. 40 spokes in kit, probably for a Brit bike.
- Oil Pump Outer Rotor - FAIL. Too thick. Over 8mm. Pump is locked tight with part installed.
- Carburetor kits - PASS. Good selection of jets and parts at good prices.
- Gaskets - PASS. No problems.
- Fork gaiters - FAIL. Very poor quality rubber. Tore apart when trying to install.
- Sprockets - PASS. Good selection. Get steel ones.
- Petcock rubber back plate gaskets - FAIL - too thin, the petcock leaked.
- fuel filters, P/N 20-0013-FAIL-they leak and engine heat melts them
- Dual lobe cam - FAIL - lobes improperly machined making the points opening too early or too late.
- Dual lobe ignition cam - PASS - timing was with in the factory tollerance between cylinders.
- Single lobe ignition cam - FAIL - Pin slot not cut wide enough to slide over pin.
- Mirrors - FAIL. Poor quality mirrors not even close to the originals, they are fragile and do not stay put with bike's vibrations
- Blind Spot mirrors 16-4655 - Chrome on stems rusted within 6 months. Rubber surrounds failed, mirrors fall out
- Speedometer - FAIL 03-0754 trip meter failed(fell to pieces) at 10,000k. Needle started reading 40km high and sticking at 14,000. Back lighting poor.
- Matching tacho LED backlit, speedo incandescent, Nickel plated not chrome as advertised.
- Elephant foot equipped rockers -FAIL- center line of Adjuster screw ~ 1/16" off to the right of the center line of valve stem During a test fit, one rocker held a valve off it's seat... After machining 30 thou off the underside, finally got 10 thou clearance max between adjuster and Valve stem
- Brake parts - PASS. UMMM is the only person to trust with brakes.